To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Probation

I’ll keep it short tonight. Today was tough for my son Jaran; he learned about Jolene’s death on the morning of the 18th. But yesterday was the watershed day for me; I have passed that first difficult anniversary, and today was much easier.

My writer friend, poet Connie Peters, encouraged me to write poetry throughout this experience, because poetry expresses our emotions. The following attempts to capture the feeling of relief that came today.

Probation

Sentenced to life without Jolene
Jailed by grief
30 days sentence served
Sun shines
Sad glances
Commendation
World unchanged
I, transformed
On probation

4 comments:

Lynette Sowell said...

You're doing it, Darlene!
Thinking of you in Houston...

Mary Connealy said...

I loved your poem.

Colorado_Kim said...

Darlene,
Ever since you told me about your blog at choir a couple of weeks ago, I've been reading about your experiences and feelings. It helps me know how to pray for you and your family. You're in my thoughts and prayers daily.

jaranfranklin said...

I liked the poem alot!