To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Monday, August 25, 2008

Wrapped in Love

Lately, lots of little reminders are causing the dull ache of grief to flare up. Last night Mom and I played a game of rummy. Mom covered her face and asked, "Do you remember how gleeful Jolene was when she went out and caught us with a bunch of cards in our hands?" Yes, Mom, I remembered.

This afternoon (on doctor's orders, no less), I took to bed. I crawled into the bottom of my bunk and clutched a teddy bear to my chest. I reached for my favorite blanket, a large throw with a picture of three cats perched on a fence. Jolene gave both the bear and the blanket to me.

I looked up at the top bunk where Jolene slept on her visits. If I let it, the nightly reminders could rob me of much needed rest.

Instead, I think of myself as wrapped and surrounded by Jolene's love. She loved me and showed me in every way she was capable of.

I may keep that blanket until it's as worn as a security blanket.

1 comment:

Lynette Sowell said...

I think it's ironic how reminders can be both sweet and painful. I'm glad you have something tangible right now to hold. :)