To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Monday, March 2, 2009

Empty Nest

News flash: I will be speaking at the H.I.S. Writers ACFW chapter next Monday, March 9th. They meet at Borders at 104th & I-25. My topic: Empower your Writing Through Spiritual Gifts.

Mom has been in Oklahoma for a week, and she's struggling with the transition. Disorientation--waking up in the middle of the night with a sense of "where am I? what am I doing here?" Loneliness.

Loneliness is a factor for both of us. I am reaching out. For instance, when I walked into Applebee's for lunch today, I sought out another church family and joined their group. Yesterday, I went to a movie by myself. Slumdog Millionaire. Once you get past the tortune scene that dominates the first five minutes, it's a great movie. Still pretty violent in places, though. Warning.

Accepting help. A co-worker came by with her two girls and we packed up my entire kitchen in an hour! Can you imagine?! Well, we packed up (a) things to go to DAV and (b) things to save for Mom. The stuff I intend to keep is still on the shelves, waiting until the moving date approaches.

Fridays are bummers. Anyone else out there struggle with Fridays? How do you handle them? A year ago, I spent Fridays with Mom and Jolene. Now I'm alone, and I feel every second. Especially now that I've dropped to basic cable tv and don't even have Monk and Psych to look forward to anymore. Hey, it could be worse. At least their seasons just ended. Maybe I'll have expanded cable again by the time the next season starts in the summer.

This morning I sang with the choir. Among other things, our pastor mentioned that Jesus Christ has called us to service: to discover what He wants us to do and to get busy doing it. And sitting at the end of the first row felt right. Leading in music is something I have known God has called me to do since I was a little girl. It's time I got back to it. I think about Oklahoma, and taking my grandchildren to church, and then I think, but what about choir? Jaran and Shelley have a Christian home, they're just not involved with any local Christian community.

Getting back into the groove of having an empty nest--it's a pleasure. It's a struggle. It's work.

3 comments:

Ruthie said...

I just finished reading Romanian Rhapsody. It's a great book - I enjoyed it a lot.
Glad you are back in choir - what a blessing that must be for you. Hugs.

Mary Connealy said...

I love hearing about what's happening for you, Darlene. I'm sorry when it's hard but you have a goal now that will keep you moving forward.

God bless you.

Darlene Franklin said...

Glad you enjoyed Romanian Rhapsody! As my first book, it holds a special place in my heart. I call it my "Romanian orphan story," a heartfelt contemporary romance.

If anyone out there is interested in Romanian Rhapsody, it's available from Barbour Publishing, target.com, amazon.com, or from me. You may also be able to request it your local Barnes & Noble bookstore.

Thanks to Barbour for still having Romanian Rhapsody available to the public more than 5 years after publication!