To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Sunday, December 16, 2012

WAITING FOR GOD

I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits,
    and in his word I put my hope.
I wait for the Lord
    more than watchmen wait for the morning,
    more than watchmen wait for the morning.
Psalm 130:5-6

Some of the people in the nursing home remind me of these verses from Psalms. Directionless, they wander around, asking, "Where do I go for dinner? Where should I sit? Will they bring my food to me? What should I do?" 

There are times we need to wait, as eagerly, as helplessly, for the many good things God has for us. Asking, seeking, knocking (literally opening doors to other people's rooms) until we receive an answer.

Then there are other times . . . There are those of us who are aware that lunch time is half an hour away and if we want something that's not on the menu, we only need to ask. The repetitive, unnecessary questions aggravate us, because they don't like the answers. Where should I go? Wherever you want. What should I do? Whatever you want. What color should I use for the turkey's wings? (in arts and crafts)  Whatever color pleases you. 

Does God ever say that to us?  Where should I go? "Go, walk through the length and breadth of the land, for I am giving it to you." (Genesis 13:17)

What should I do? "Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him." (Psalm 34:8)

What color should I use? "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." (Philippians 4:8)

All three of these commands from God invite the reader to explore a wide variety of experiences (within set boundaries). There is no single way to taste and see God; no specific place to go; no specific topic to think about. 

At times, God will lead us by the hand.

At other times, He invites us to choose. 

***All book winners (except one copy of Beacon of Love) were mailed this week. Please let me know if you don't receive your expected book within a week.***