To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Books in Review

Just this morning, I finished a terrific book. Between books I'm bursting to share and a new group I've joined specifically for writers of fiction set in America in the 19th century, I've decided to resurrect a feature on book reviews.

Matt Rogers was a pastor in the Virginia Tech community when 33 students died in the massacre. He wrote When Answers Aren't Enough: Experiencing God as Good when Life Isn't out of that experience. The books reads more like a journal than a theological treatise, a series of short, poignant essays in three sections: Embracing the World That is, Remembering the World That Was, Imagining the World That Will Be. These bite-sized truths echoed in my own heart. Somehow he's put into words much of what I experienced of God in the months following Jolene's death. Buy it, read it, keep it to savor and contemplate.

This past month I read two books which I had read in fits and starts as they went through the critique process. Read as a whole, I could appreciate anew the author's brilliance. Susan Page Davis, my critique partners, has winners in A New Joy (a New Hampshire historical) and Heart in the Crosshairs (romantic suspense about Maine's governor.)

Shannon, my middle granddaughter, reads all the time; but Savannah (the eldest) rarely raves about a book. So when she recommended The Giver by Lois Lowry, I had to read it. It's a YA novel that offers a thought provoking alternative future, one where pain and discomfort are only remembered by one member of that society, and euthanasia is a common practice. Find it and talk it over with younger members of your own family.


Susan Page Davis said...

Darlene, thanks so much for mentioning my books. I'm glad you enjoyed Hearts in the Crosshairs and A New Joy. I also loved reading Lois Lowry's The Giver, but I have to say, you must now read Gathering Blue, the sequel. This book is so much more hopeful than The Giver. I read this one aloud to my dh and kids, I loved it so much. While in The Giver, the society is very high-tech, in Gathering Blue it's another future society that has LOST its technology.

Barb said...

Thanks for the tips on these books. Hope I get a chance to get some more reading done soon.

Clairessa said...

I believe I've read The Giver, but I don't remember whether it was assigned reading or something I picked up. I kind of struck me as very much like Anthem by Ayn Rand.