To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mom's Birthday

Mom celebrates her 77th birthday today. I doubt it will be one of her better days.

Why?

Well, she's in rehab--probably the first time she has not celebrated in her own home. Even if I make it in to work early, I won't get to Mom's place until at least supper time. A long, boring day.

She has outlived her mother--as well as her father, one sister and brother and all four grandparents. She is pushing the upper limit of two sisters who made it to 78. (The older she gets, the more scared I get.)

And another big one--her first birthday since Jolene's suicide--the last of the "firsts" (unless you count Valentine's day). Christmas was my last big one to work through, but I feel for the double pain Mom must be experiencing today.

And, oh yes, the 11-month anniversary of Jolene's suicide tomorrow. I won't talk about that today. Maybe Monday or maybe not.

At least, after today, we only have one more first. The one year anniversary, a month from now.

I don't even know if we'll be in the same city in March. Mom may be in Oklahoma. I am here at least until June, when my lease ends. She's excited about the possibility. I'm thankful for that; I wouldn't blame her for not wanting to move again after saying goodbye to her beloved Boothbay to join me in Colorado.

The Monday before the anniversary, I will be speaking at a local ACFW group. They encouraged me to come and "let us love on you." God has also arranged for a friend to come from out of town and another speaking engagement. He's putting together a month that is looking forward, not back. But more about that as the anniversary approaches.

Pray for both of us. For joy in the day. For celebration of another day, another year, we can enjoy together. This past year would have been impossible without Mom's presence and understanding.

5 comments:

Jan Parrish said...

Praying for you and the decisions you have to make.

Ruthie said...

Be sure and let the Rehab center know it's your Mom's BD and they should give her a nice BD time before you get there. And you can still give her a nice time after you get off work.

Lots of decisions for you to make. Glad your mom is excited about the possible move. She actually may like the warmer weather there and it'll be fun for her to be able to see her great grandchild, too.

Hugs. Ruthie

Mary Connealy said...

Hope the day ended well, Darlene.

Anonymous said...

Darlene ~ You have had such a rough time! Praying for you and your mom especially today!

Darlene Franklin said...

It turned out to be a lovely day. Thanks for all your support, you lovely ladies.