To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Doing Better

Thank you, one and all, who read, prayed and/or commented after my last blog.

The good news? Today Mom had the most energy since her surgery. She sat up without assistance and fed herself. She even cracked a joke or two. It was so good to have "mom" back.

Her primary problems haven't improved. She's had two dialysis treatments but her kidney level remains too high (meaning she will probably need further dialysis). And each dialysis drives down her blood pressure, meaning she has to continue medication to keep it up. Pneumonia remains a spectre (although not yet a reality, PTL!)

The original expectation was that Mom would spend a week in the hospital and a week in rehab and then home. Well, tomorrow marks a week and she's still in ICU. The surgeon said she may need 3-4 weeks in rehab.

So ... a slower, longer recovery than either of us hoped for.

Yet, although the facts haven't changed, I am in an entirely different place emotionally.

On a purely selfish level, I got a boost from the arrival of my box of books for my contributions to 365 Daily Whispers of Wisdom for Single Moms and for Busy Women. Nothing like holding my babies in my hands!

Another selfish--but very important--goal: I have kept my focus on losing weight. I will admit it publicly here for the first time. I joined Weight Watchers at the beginning of August and so far have lost 35.6 pounds. Monday was the first time I said "forget it" and ate what I wanted. But you know what? Food isn't going to solve the problem. I thank God that I realized that and figured out other options for the nights I'm too stressed out to plan and measure and count. A change in my attitude toward food comes from God and Him alone.

On an invisible level but no less real, the prayer surrounding and supporting us has made all the difference. Thanks to every one of you who is praying for both of us.

Thanks. And keep on praying. We're not through it yet.

3 comments:

Mary Connealy said...

glad your mom is better, not well yet, I know. I'll keep praying.

35 pounds! Way to go!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

We're continuing to pray for you and your mom, Darlene.

35 pounds is amazing!! Congratulations! Keep it up!

Kim Lutz

Ruthie said...

So glad to hear that your mom is more like herself. Remember, it just takes longer to recuperate the older one gets - so it is not unusual for the recovery to take longer for your mom.

Good for you on the weight loss. That was brave of you to share about it. I'll be praying about that for you, too.

Hugs. Ruthie