To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

You have o love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may you have overeaten, but it is patriotism.--Erma Bombeck

Three days late, but that's okay. Watching Independence Day made me feel patriotic all over again. (Holidays at the nursing home are usually ignored or celebrated early. The actual day is pretty awful, from low staff to yucky food.)

Erma Bombeck's words rank at the top of my favorite quotes about our Independence Day. So I thought I would share a few of my favorite memories.

1985--We traveled to New Jersey and back on a week-long trip. "We"--my husband and our two children. On the 4th, we stood across the river from the Statue of Liberty. A highlight of a memorable trip. We also touched the Liberty Bell as we stopped in Philadelphia along the way.

1992--the year I discovered country music. We went to see a day long country music concert and picnic.

1993 or so--Jaran, Jolene and I spent the day at Six Flags/Elitch Gardens. From there we went to a professional soccer game--the only one I ever attended. Another unique day.

1996 and following: The spate of Will Smith blockbusters: Independence Day, Men in Black, and the less memorable Wild Wild West. Reviews I had read of Smith earlier all said "surprising good turn by Will Smith." After those movies, Smith became a superstar.

1999-2003. We lived on the third story of a condo. We watched fireworks all over Denver from our balcony.

2003-2008. Watching Memorial Day and 4th of July concerts on TV with Mom.

Not to mention fireworks . . .

Ah, the 4th of July.

A couple of my books feature July 4th events: Beacon of Love and Lone Star Trail.

July 1st saw the release of my first nonfiction book and my 5th book this year, It Is Well with My Soul. The book includes scripture, prayer, devotionals and quotes based on the lyrics of the beloved hymn. I don't have my copies yet, so I'm holding off on doing a giveaway.

The 200 book giveaway is done. Stay in touch to learn about upcoming giveaways.

No comments: