To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

THE FOUR BOOKS I'M WRITING

A glimpse into the life of a full-time, professional writer. Give credit for the idea "the four books I'm writing" to Janice Hanna Thompson. She says that every writer is working on four books at once:

  1. The book under development.

  2. The book being written.

  3. The book being edited

  4. The book being marketed.

The problem for writers is that we tend to only schedule book #2--the book being written.


I wailed and carried on but managed to submit one Heartsong and one novella on February 1st and my first book for Moody, Lone Star Trail, on March 18th. I took a deep breath, took a week off from serious writing, and dived back into A Ranger's Trail (second book for Moody). Of course, one of the consequences of submitting a manuscript is that you get it back . . . for edits, sometimes more than once. For marketing. For cover art and copy. For galley proofs.

So in addition to starting A Ranger's Trail, since the first of April (hey, maybe this is my April fools' joke) I've had the following added to my to-do list.

  • Develop marketing material for Texas Trails for Moody (done, except for the stuff that has to be mailed)

  • Write additional material for Lone Star Trail at editor's request (done)

  • Answer questions from a different editor on Lone Star Trails (done)

  • Look at the changes made to Lone Star Trails and think about how I need to shape A Ranger's Trail (ongoing)

  • Proof the galley for Plainsong (in process)

  • Approve the cover art for Plainsong (done)

  • Complete a cover art sheet for a book still not officially contracted (in process)

  • Write two blog posts for the Heartsong authors blog to coincide with the release of Love's Raid next month (in process)

  • Complete a proposal requested by an editor (in process)

  • Write 7 devotions already contracted.

  • Expecting edits for this year's Christmas novella, First Christmas in Christmas at Barncastle Inn. (expected)

  • NEWS. Go over contracts for two more--count them, yes, two--books. I'll announce more later when the contracts are finalized. (in process)

Is it any wonder I've fallen a little behind on my writing goals?


Would I have it any other way?


Nah. Of course not.

1 comment:

Carla Gade said...

That's quite a schedule to maintain! I'm just beginning to get a taste of this. You are a tremendous inspiration to me!