To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

New Year, New Life

Finally.

Five weeks after coming down with a bad cold, I am feeling well and I can even sing more than an octave, not that I'm in normal voice yet. It felt like forever.

Last Sunday, faced with three weeks to go until I have two books due, and struggling to get any writing done, I reached a drastic decision: I would write longhand instead of on the computer. Online, I get distracted by emails and chat and facebook and games ...

After eight days, I have written 20,000 words, all but 2500 or so longhand (and then typed in). I used up one pen; it finally ran out of ink with five minutes to go in the Jets/Patriots playoff game.

I am now 75% of the way through the rough draft of the second book (I already have a draft of the novella). A major victory!

I also decided to attend a writers retreat in Texas next month, enjoying a well-deserved vacation.

Good health, a handle on work, a promised vacation. . .is it any wonder I'm feeling good?

1 comment:

Rhonda Gibson said...

This is great news Darlene! Congratulations on finding what works for you.